Health Center Volunteer Health Professionals (VHP)
Through enactment of Section 9025 of the 21st Century Cures Act (Pub. L. 114-255), subsection 224(q) was added to the Public Health Service Act (42 U.S.C. § 233(q)), extending liability protections for the performance of medical, surgical, dental, and related functions to Volunteer Health Professionals (VHPs) at health centers that have also been deemed as employees of the Public Health Service (PHS). Through this process, VHPs of deemed health centers may receive deemed Public Health Service employment status, with associated Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA) coverage.
Health Center VHP Deeming Application Process
The application process documented on this page is a guide. Please refer to the applicable Program Assistance Letter (PAL) (PDF - 219 KB) for specific details.
Health Center VHP Deeming Applications
The HRSA Electronic Handbooks (EHB) system is now open to accept applications from sponsoring health centers applying for deemed PHS employee status for volunteer health professionals.
In order to request coverage for a volunteer, a supplemental deeming application must be completed, submitted, and approved by HRSA through the EHB. Details regarding application requirements are available in the PAL.
- Volunteers and Cures Act Technical Assistance Webcast
- 2017 Health Center Volunteer Health Professional Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA) Deeming Application Instructions (PDF – 219 KB)
- Temporary Privileging of Clinical Providers by Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA) Deemed Health Centers in Response to Certain Declared Emergency Situations - PAL 2017-07 (PDF - 54 KB)
Date Last Reviewed: November 2017
- Apply: Log into Electronic Handbook (EHB)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- FTCA Policies
- Application Process
- Particularized Determination
- Risk Management and Quality Improvement
- FTCA Health Center Policy Manual (PDF - 435 KB)
- VHP Sample Volunteer Agreement (PDF - 25 KB)
- VHP Sample Limited Liability Notice (PDF - 23 KB)